10 Quick Decorating Ideas
Home decorating doesn’t need a lot of time and money. Try these affordable decorating ideas to freshen up a room over a weekend:
1. Rearrange the Furniture- Pull your furniture away from the walls. Try positioning it at interesting angles. For example, a sofa arranged diagonally across a narrow living room will make the room look wider.
2. Paint A Wall- Paint one wall your favorite color and make it the focal point. Hang interesting art on that wall and move a nice piece of furniture there. Make sure though that the color is one that is shared with several other objects and fabrics in the room.
3. Bring in Plants- Greenery always adds a breath of fresh air to a room. If you don’t have a green thumb, try silk plants and trees. The quality has gotten so good that it’s hard to distinguish them from the real thing.
4 Lay an Area Rug- An area rug is a wonderful way to define an area. Choose one that complements the room. Lay it at an angle beneath your coffee table.
5. Hang Pictures or a Mirror- Hang pictures and use frames that reflect your personality. When hanging a mirror, position it so that it reflects a nice view or an interesting architectural element.
6. Group Figurines- Pull out your favorite collectibles. Show off your personality. Find a display area and group related objects together, in sets of three or five. Vary the shapes.
7. Add Decorative Pillows- Decorative pillows are an easy way to add textures and patterns to a room.
8. Replace Lamps- Lamps are probably the one thing in your home that will give others a clue that your room is outdated. Seek out new and fresh lamps that make a statement.
9. Add a Throw or Afghan- Similar to decorative pillows, throws and Afghans add texture to your furniture. They come in all kinds of natural and man-made fabrics. Find a pattern and style that you like.
10. Eliminate Clutter- Clutter has a way of eliminating the desired mood and effect of any room. Find storage spaces for papers, toys, and other items that distract from the personality of a room.