Decorating a studio apartment can be very challenging since all the different parts of house, the sleeping, cooking, dining and living areas, are all part of a single space.
Here are some tips for decorating a studio apartment –
1. Purchase furniture that performs a double duty. Find ottomans and chairs with storage space which you could use to store your pillows, blankets and other items.
2. If your studio apartment has enough height, create a loft accessible by stairs. Use this as a storage area, sleep area, hobby or study area.
3. Create specific areas for your activities. For example, place a bed along with the dresser at one end, and the other end can be used as kitchen and dining area with the living area somewhere in the middle.
4. Its ok to use dividers but limit them to just one or two. Thin glass with slight etching or frosting is the perfect material for the divider. You may also select wood to create completely separate areas.
5. Use mirrors to reflect light. A large mirror or several small mirrors placed strategically can make a small space appear larger and lighter.
6. Don’t block the light. Covering every window with blinds and draperies can make a small room feel dark and crowded. Leave windows bare or only cover with sheer draperies to let the light shine through.
7. Create a focus. Paint one wall a different color to draw attention into the room. Put a large credenza or entertainment center on that wall and decorate it with beautiful accessories.
8. Keep clutter at bay. When you have a small area, clutter is not an option. Too many knick-knacks and furniture crowds everything together. Keep items, such as extra bed linens put away in a dresser or wicker baskets. Kitchen counters should be kept clean with everything in the cupboards if possible.
9. Another trick is to buy furniture with legs and that are higher off of the floor. Your eye will look under these pieces of furniture and add visual space. Furniture that is blocky and low to the ground makes a room appear more crowded.
10. Studio apartments should always be painted in lighter colors, unless they are really large. Paint colors don’t have to be white or cream, but using lighter, paler colors will expand the space and make it look large.