Effectively Managing Your Time

Effectively managing our time is something all of us desire, as evidenced by the substantial industry dedicated to this issue. We use online calendars, software and apps, day planners, attend time management conferences and seminars. Yet, successfully managing out time continues to elude many of us. Here are some simple rules that can help all of us to immediately increase our productivity.

Remember the 80%/20% Rule

We’ve all heard this one before and yes, it is worth repeating. Some things are more important than others. 20% of our relationships, tasks and projects are most important in your life. This 20% should be our top priority. The remaining 80% are less important. We spend too much time on the 80% at the expense of what’s truly important. Try to delegate the 80% to others. Consider automating activities, or outsourcing. Our goal should be to spend no more than 50% of our time on these 80% items.

Identify Your Peak Performance Time

When are you at your peak mental performance? Are you an early riser or a night owl? Many of us use this peak performance time on our 80% instead of our 20%. Instead, train yourselves to work on those 20% most challenging items during this peak performance window.

Learn to Say No.

Saying no can be difficult. Protect your 20% by learning to say no to too many projects, activities and requests for your time. Also, guard your time by: shutting your office door, turning off your phone and shutting off your email. Even if it’s for only a short time, stopping these interruptions can significantly improve your productivity.

If you have any questions regarding real estate on Oahu, please contact us at www.choicehomeshawaii.com | 888-988-6248

About the Author

Brandon Lau grew up in Kailua and currently resides in Honolulu with his wife Andee and children Caylah, Elijah, and David. His eighteen years in real estate led him to become a Partner at ChaneyBrooks Choice Advisors. Over the past 10 years he has developed the team and systems that has created a high level of service and value for his clients.

What differentiates Brandon and his team is his consultative approach to real estate. He advises clients with relevant data and expert insight to help them make the best choices in real estate. Good choices in planning for long term dispositions, negotiating for the best price or knowing when not to pursue an investment are ways his consultative services will give you an advantage in the marketplace. His bottom line is providing service with the utmost integrity and expertise.