Most homes in Hawaii have at least one small bathroom. Here are a few ideas to make your small bathroom feel bigger.
- Choose a light color or a simple pattern for the walls. If using a pattern, keep the background light and the pattern only slightly darker.
- Paint the ceiling white to give it a light, airy feel.
- Paint the trim white. Adding a white crown molding will add height to the room.
- Remove curtains from the windows. If you need to use window treatments, keep it simple.
- Replace all light bulbs with CFL bulbs which provide bright, natural light and are energy efficient.
- Add recessed lighting. Eliminate light fixtures that jut out into the room
- Use light-colored flooring. If you have a dark floor and can't afford to replace it, use one area rug that fills most of the space that is a light color.
- If you want to tile the floor, choose a medium-size tile square, 6 inches or 8 inches. A tiny tile will make the room look smaller.
- Install a pedestal sink. Eliminating the cabinets will make your bathroom look bigger. If you cannot change your cabinets, paint dark cabinets a light color.
- Recess any wall cabinets or eliminate them.
- Use glass as shelving and for your shower door. Or use a clear shower curtain.
- Add mirrors. They reflect light and make a room appear larger.
- Minimize wall decorations. Use one or two medium-size items. Avoid grouped pictures
For more home improvement tips and ideas, or questions on real estate on Oahu, visit us atwww.choicehomeshawaii.com.