Hardwood floors are beautiful and add charm to any home. They are also an investment, so proper care is important. Using wrong cleaning products or methods could damage or discolor your wood floor. Therefore, the best way to clean hardwood floors is with a mild cleaner and a gentle cleaning method.
1. Vacuum the floor with a soft brush attachment, or use a soft broom to remove surface dirt and dust.
2. Fill a bucket with warm water. Dip a soft cloth or mop into the bucket, and wring it out well.
3. Wipe or mop the floor with water. Work in sections, so the water doesn’t dry onto the floor. Rinse and wring out the cloth or mop often.
4. Dry each section of the floor promptly with a clean, soft cloth to remove moisture.
5. If your hardwood floors are especially dirty and require a deeper cleaning, mix 1 gallon of warm water and 1 cup of white vinegar. Dip a mop or cloth into the vinegar solution, and wring it out well. Wipe or mop the floors with the vinegar mixture, working in small sections, and rinsing and wringing out the cloth or mop often. Promptly buff each section of the floor with a soft cloth.
Use as little water or liquid as possible. Your cloth or mop should only be damp, and not dripping wet. Exposing your hardwood floors to excessive amounts of water can damage it. Never use ammonia, soaps, or detergents to clean hardwood floors.